- Size Guide
- Reviews (0)
BrainBox Maths Pack Years 3 and 4:
The BrainBox Maths Pack contains 120 BrainBox cards designed for individual or group work. Helps children to improve their observation, memory and concentration. Supports the importance of spoken language in maths, developing children’s mathematical vocabulary.
The packs include two mini sand timers, one 30 second and one 10 second. Beginners should start with the 30 second timer and move on to the 10 second timer when they have played a few times.
The cards are colour coded so that the teacher can easily recognise and select the appropriate set of cards for the particular topic they are teaching and the year group.
How to Play:
For 2 or more players:
- The first player takes a card from the selected pile. They turn over the sand timer and study card until the timer runs out.
- The player passes the card to another player and rolls the die. They must then answer the appropriate question. (e.g. if they roll a two they must answer question two).
- The other player reads the question and checks the answer by looking at the front of the card.
- If correct, the player who answered the question keeps the card. If incorrect, the card is returned to the pile of cards. The next player chooses the card.
- The player with the most cards after ten minutes is the winner.
For 1 player:
- The player takes a card from the selected pile. They turn over the sand timer and study the card until the timer runs out.
- The player rolls the die. They must then read and answer the appropriate question without looking at the front of the card. (e.g. If they roll a two they must answer question two). When they have answered they may turn the card over to check if they are correct.
- If correct, they keep the card. If incorrect, the card is returned to the pile of cards.
- After ten minutes they count how many cards they have.
- To make this more challenging the player could try to answer all of the questions to keep the card.
On a visualiser:
- The teacher takes a card from the selected pile. They place the card under the visualiser so that all the class can see it on the whiteboard or screen. They turn over the sand timer and the children must quietly study the card until the timer runs out.
- The teacher rolls the die. They must then select one child to answer the appropriate question.
- The teacher reads the question. They check the answer by showing the class the front of the card.
- This activity can be extended by playing without the die and asking different children each of the questions.